Friday 13 March 2009

Urban Ponds and Killingworths SEO

Decided to stay local and visit some of the ponds I haven't been to in a while. First stop was the Village Pond, greeted by 13 Shoveler (9 Drakes and 4 Ducks), 1 Drake Gadwall, 9 Tufted, Pair of Teal, Pair of Canada, Pair of Mute Swan, Coots, Moorhen, Black-headed and Common Gulls, and a Pied Wagtail overhead. Quite productive.

Next was along to the Swallow Pond, mainly to see the Red Deer stag Simon told me about the other day. Parked up at back of Asda and walked along too the hide, met Simon halfway, he told me he'd seen the deer but not much else, quick chat and we went separate ways. On the water there was 9 Pochard, 4 Little Grebe, 2 Canada, 5 Mute Swan (2 Adults, 3 Juvs), 4 Tufted, 1 Cormorant, Mallard, Coot, Moorhen and a mix of Gulls. The stag appeared in the reeds at the far side, its a huge animal and a funny sight at Swallow, I'm used to seeing these big stags up in Mull or Islay, not in Wallsend.

Next was Killingworth, but I thought I'd check on SEO's on the way. 50+ strong Linnet flock still on the pylons in the first field, as I walked down I glimpsed the two birds locking talons then drifting apart. They were providing exceptional views today, landing on tufts of grass, and the pylon, and both hunting for all of the time I was there. Whilst i was walking back up I clocked two pairs of Grey Partridge.

Off to Killingworth Lake, parked up and the Barnacle Goose was grazing on the grass with Mute Swans Canada, and a pair of Greylags, also on the water were 6 Goosesander, Tufted, 1 Great crested Grebe, Goldeney and the usual suspects.
Quick check of Marden Quarry was next few Greylags, Canada, 3 Little Grebe, Tufted, Pochard, Coot, Moorhen, Mallard, and this fellow...


Last time I was down the Quarry there was a pair, but only seemed to be one today, you can't see on the phot very well be it also has a white/yellow forehead. I was thinking along the lines of hybrid, Barnacle X Canada, any ideas?

Last stop was Red House Farm Pond, Pair of Mallards, and a Moorhen were on the pond, with Greenfinch, Goldfinch and Chaffinch round about.

1 comment:

  1. Check out the Lakeland Timber building at Fenwick pit Backworth Little owl back on the roof of the now empty building.

    ReplyDelete